It is awarded to an individual who meets the following selection criteria:
- Has had a significant innovation idea, or supported the growth of an innovative idea that has transformed and progressed the label industry
- Has made a key contribution to the promotion and growth of the label industry
- Has been a high profile industry influencer and motivator
- Is a person of integrity, honesty and respect
- Operates on a national or international scale
The R. Stanton Avery Pioneer Award goes to:
Alex Knott, of the Dow Chemical Company, has been chosen as the recipient of the R. Stanton Avery Pioneer Award for the 2018 Label Industry Global Awards.
Knott is a senior scientist in the company and leader of a global team that has pioneered the latest innovations in pressure-sensitive silicone release liner coating technology, including the introduction of Dow’s Flat Release Systems. This technology has not only revolutionized high speed, low coating weight, high performance and labelstock release liner production, but has also been a key factor in helping to drive down silicone coating costs.
Knott started his career as a Development Chemist in 1987 in the pressure-sensitive industry at Dow Corning - today a wholly owned subsidiary of The Dow Chemical Company. Since then he has held application engineering, technical leadership and senior scientist roles within this industry, and today has a solid global reputation as an authority on silicone pressure-sensitive systems.